As busy parents I know you have been running around frenetically just before Christmas and into the New Year.
In about 2 -3 days your children will be beginning the usual cry of ‘I’m bored!’
So what do you do with them?
Tell them to find the 5 top jobs that they would like to work in.
Here are the steps:
1) They can do this by googling the job title. This should lead them to pathways that will give them explanations of the careers, possible places to study and answer most of their questions. If they get overwhelmed with options www.myfuturecareers.gov.au or www.alife.net.au are always good places to start.
2) If there qualifications are university based then it is time to find out the HSC/UAI mark that is required to get into the university of their choice. They can do this by checking out www.uac.edu.au .
3) Go on any of the employment websites, such as www.seek.com.au and see of there are any of the jobs listed. The careers choice they have made may not be the type of job that’s advertised. If this is the case, get them to find the industry association - they are a wealth of information.
4) If they would like to find out more,ask them to check out who are the main companies involved and then get them toring the companies to see if they will offer work experience. - they might as well take advantage of the long days of summer and get an edge up on their school mates by starting the year with a sense of direction.
And then discuss their findings at dinner!
By finding out what your children are interested in early it will enable you
- to support them to get to their goals and
- work out whether you are going to be looked after by them in your retirement or will need to top up your super! (smile)
Have a wonderful holiday season and I will be back regularly in February 2009.
Till next time